LIFE NOTES (1 OF ?)

 

The first memory would be Saturday 9 January 1965, on my way back home from hospital where I had nearly died of pneumonia, not yet one year old. This was the first of what are to date five occasions when I have cheated death. It was midnight and my parents and I were in this taxi heading towards Uddingston; the car radio was on and broadcasting the Light Programme. There was some nocturnally chirpy news-reading, followed by the gravely avuncular tones of Pete Murray. We were passing by what used to be Calderpark Zoo, at the junction where the M8 and A74 briefly meet before branching off to Edinburgh and England respectively. The orange neon darkness, the not-quite-this-worldliness. I would revisit that scenario in my lucidly dreamed mind some fifty-three years later.

 

I didn’t almost die of pneumonia in hospital – which was almost certainly the Glasgow Royal Infirmary – but contacted it at home because my cot was situated in a damp and cold room. That messed up my lungs for life. The room in question was swiftly decommissioned and turned into an attic/storage space area. I still have dreams about ancient things being uncovered there, beneath seemingly immovable piles of indeterminate material.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT

NO MORE AGAIN - CARLA BLEY

UNCORRECTED BOUND PROOF BOOK PROPOSAL: THE EMOTIONAL REMIX